Re: GIN, pg_trgm and large table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Max Fomichev
Subject Re: GIN, pg_trgm and large table
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello Tom,
thank you for your reply.

On 10/03/2018 19:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> Max Fomichev <max.fomitchev@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have the following table and index with about 15 billion records.
>> ... PostgreSQL 9.5.12 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu
>> 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609, 64-bit ... It there any way
>> to improve GIN/pg_tgrm performance on a such large table?
> There was some work done in 9.6 to improve pg_trgm's performance when
> dealing with queries involving very common trigrams. So maybe an
> update to 9.6 or v10 would help you.

I'll try 10.x version.

> I have a bad feeling though that 15 billion rows is too many for an
> index based on trigrams to be really useful --- there are just not
> enough distinct trigrams. It's too bad we don't have a more general
> N-gram indexing facility.
Could you please advise what is the correct approach/index type for my
case?
I have about 15 billion ngram records (each ngram contains from 1 to 5
words). I'd like to find all ngrams where search word is a part of it.

--
Best regards,
Max Fomichev