Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Drouvot, Bertrand
Subject Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ronan,

Thanks for looking at it.

On 8/2/21 1:57 PM, Ronan Dunklau wrote:
> Le mardi 27 juillet 2021, 09:23:48 CEST Drouvot, Bertrand a écrit :
>> Thanks for the warning, rebase done and new v21 version attached.
>>
>> Bertrand
> Hello,
>
> I've taken a look at this patch, and it looks like you adressed every prior
> remark, including the race condition Andres was worried about.

I think there is still 2 points that need to be addressed (see [1])

> As for the basics: make check-world and make installcheck-world pass.
>
> I think the beahviour when dropping a database on the primary should be
> documented, and proper procedures for handling it correctly should be
> suggested.
>
> Something along the lines of:
>
> "If a database is dropped on the primary server, the logical replication slot
> on the standby will be dropped as well. This means that you should ensure that
> the client usually connected to this slot has had the opportunity to stream
> the latest changes before the database is dropped."

I am not sure we should highlight this as part of this patch.

I mean, the same would currently occur on a non standby if you drop a
database that has a replication slot linked to it.

> As for the patches themselves, I only have two small comments to make.
>
> In patch 0002, in InvalidateConflictingLogicalReplicationSlots, I don't see the
> need to check for an InvalidOid since we already check the SlotIsLogical:
>
> +               /* We are only dealing with *logical* slot conflicts. */
> +               if (!SlotIsLogical(s))
> +                       continue;
> +
> +               /* not our database and we don't want all the database,
> skip */
> +               if ((s->data.database != InvalidOid && s->data.database
> != dboid) && TransactionIdIsValid(xid))
> +                       continue;

Agree, v22 attached in [1] does remove the useless s->data.database !=
InvalidOid check, thanks!

> In patch 0004, small typo in the test file:
> +# Test standby promotion and logical decoding bheavior
> +# after the standby gets promoted.

Typo also fixed in v22, thanks!

Bertrand

[1]: