Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuro Yamada
Subject Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Torikoshi-san,

> In this patch, exposing new columns is mandatory, but I think
> it's better to make it optional by adding a GUC something
> like 'pgss.track_general_custom_plans.
>
> I also feel it makes the number of columns too many.
> Just adding the total time may be sufficient.

I think this feature is useful for DBA. So I hope that it gets
committed to PG14. IMHO, many columns are Okay because DBA can
select specific columns by their query.
Therefore, it would be better to go with the current design.

I did the regression test using your patch on 7e5e1bba03, and
it failed unfortunately. See below:

  122 of 201 tests failed, 1 of these failures ignored.
2020-11-30 09:45:18.160 JST [12977] LOG:  database system was not
properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada