Re: detecting poor query plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Subject Re: detecting poor query plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   Neil> It occurred to me that these kinds of poor planning   Neil> decisions could easily be detected by PostgreSQL
itself:  Neil> after we've finished executing a plan, we can trivially   Neil> compare the # of results produced by
eachnode in the query   Neil> tree with the # of results the planner expected that node to   Neil> produce (look at
EXPLAINANALYZE, for example). If the

Indeed. This is the approach being followed by the LeO project
(Learning Optimizer) at IBM Almaden.

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/software/dm/SMART/leo.shtml

There is a vldb paper that describes it ..

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh