Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   Tom> Please keep in mind that I was replying to a poster who said   Tom> "cross-db queries on the same server
(meaningsame   Tom> postmaster, for our purposes) are trivial; why hasn't   Tom> Postgres got them when everybody else
does?"

BTW, DB2 doesn't have 'em either.

In DB2, you have Database -> Schema -> Objects

In DB2, you can of course have cross-schema queries but no cross-db
queries, unless you rig up the federated functionality to connect one
db to the other.

Much of the confusion stems from SQL-Server and Sybase having:
  Database -> Objects

The Database is used to identify distinct schemas. I'm not sure if in
these systems they are physically separate entities (different lock
manager etc.)

--
Peace, at last ?
Sailesh