Re: this is in plain text (row level locks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Subject Re: this is in plain text (row level locks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   Tom> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:   >> It may be best to have a locking manager run as a separate   >> process.
Thatway it could store locks in ram or spill over to   >> disk.

   Tom> Hmm, that might be workable.  We could imagine that in place   Tom> of the HEAP_MARKED_FOR_UPDATE status bit,
wehave a "this row   Tom> is possibly locked" hint bit.  Only if you see the bit set do   Tom> you need to query the
lockmanager.  If the answer comes back

Why do you want to query the lock manager as a separate process ?

Why not have the traditional approach of a lock table in shared
memory, growing and shrinking as appropriate, and have each individual
process update it (need to protect it with a latch of course).

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh