executing a procedure withing a procedure? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ben sewell
Subject executing a procedure withing a procedure?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi guys,
I'm re-writing a MS Access frontend in readiness for a postgresql migration but I am abit stuck since postgres is completely new to me. Anyways, is it possible to execute a procedure within a procedure?

What I'm trying to do is that in the access frontend, there is a form where you can generate reports with all the options (adviser,provider,introducer,plangroup,plantype, and datelist- which sets two text fields date_start and date_end. Additionally, there are checkboxes for all the options which are checked when an option has been selected eg when you choose an adviser. To make things even more complicated, you can also select an adviser and a datelist so you can records for an adviser for the specified time period for example.

The idea I have in mind is that I will create pass through queries in VBA code builder that takes the parameters and does all the processing on the server and returns the query that is then used to make the report.

What the problem is that there is alot of repetition because of the filters (subqueries are used in the access queries) so I was hoping there was a way I could reduce the amount of code i would have to write for the procedure that returns the qeury results.

I'm also open to any other suggustions on how to tackle this problem.

Cheers,
Ben