Re: [GENERAL] PG and database encryption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PG and database encryption
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/22/2017 12:48 PM, rakeshkumar464 wrote:
> We have a requirement to encrypt the entire database.  What is the best tool
> to accomplish this. Our primary goal is that it should be transparent to the
> application, with no change in the application, as compared to un-encrypted
> database. Reading about pgcrypto module, it seems it is good for few columns
> only and using it to encrypt entire database is not a good use-case.
>
> Is this which can be done best by file level encryption?  What are the good
> tools on Linux (RHES), preferably open-source.

If you are encrypting the entire database, use the filesystem.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/chap-Security_Guide-Encryption.html

Thanks!

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us