Re: Possible causes for database corruption and solutions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Clark
Subject Re: Possible causes for database corruption and solutions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Greg, thanks for the reply!

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Michael Clark wrote:

Secondly, I ask about an alternative solution to the corruption problem because with preliminary testing we have seen a significant degradation in performance.  So far the two operations we have noted are database creation and database restores.

For the restore case, you might get a good sized boost in performance without introducing a risk of corruption by turning off the synchronous_commit parameter.  That will put you in a position where you can have a committed transaction not actually be on disk if there's a crash or sudden power outage, but you won't get an actual corruption in that case.  So fsync_writethough plus synchronous_commit=off should be no less safe than what you've got now, but probably not as fast as what you're used to.  As already pointed out, there is a trade-off here you can't bargain with:  you can either have your data completely safe, or you can execute quickly, but you can't do both.  Robust data integrity slows things down and there's little you can do about it without buying hardware targeted to improve on that.

That sounds like an interesting setting, I will look into that further, thanks!

The database creation issue just came up on one of the lists here the other day as being particularly slow in the situation you're in, and that parameter change doesn't help there.  There's been some design change suggestions around that to improve the situation, but you're not likely to see those in the server code for a year or more.

That is a lot less of a problem, for us anyways.  Faster (and safe) is always better though.  The real concern is explaining why a 2 second restore now takes almost 4 minutes!
Not that there is anything that can be done (except for some tuning), but that is not really an issue for here.

I should note here that we have not tuned PG at all.
You could probably see a good sized performance increase just from increasing checkpoint_segments a bit from its default (3).  Since it sounds like you're trying to keep your product's disk space footprint under control, increasing that to around 10 would probably as high as you want to go.  You can't really increase shared_buffers a lot on your platform lest your users get stuck with weird problems where the server won't start, from what I hear OS X is fairly hostile to the kernel adjustments you need to do in order to support that.

There's a general intro to things you might tune in the postgresql.conf at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

None of those are going to help you out with slow database creation, you might be able to pull down the restore times by tweaking some of the parameters there upwards.  A large number of the tunables recommend to tweak there mainly impact query execution time.

Thanks for those tips as well.  Much appreciated,

Michael.