Re: Handling large volumes of data - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Handling large volumes of data
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> wrote:
Apparently the best approach is not to have very large tables.  I am
thinking of making (as far as the firewall is concerned) a different
table for each day and then drop the older tables as necessary.

Any advice on how to best handle this kind of setup will be
appreciated.

Table paritioning is what you need --> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-partitioning.html and then I will also advise distribute your tables across different disks through tablespaces. Tweak the shared buffers and work_mem settings as well.

--
Shoaib Mir
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology