Re: How to reindex when unable to open relation? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: How to reindex when unable to open relation?
Date
Re: How to reindex when unable to open relation?  (Darren Reed <darrenr+postgres@fastmail.net>)
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Darren Reed <darrenr+postgres@fastmail.net> wrote:
Inserts into my table started generating an error message (see below),
and there was a log message that suggested I reindex.

postgres seems to start and stop ok, but no operations on the tables
seem to work.

l# /usr/pkg/bin/pg_dump -s -U postgres
pg_dump: failed sanity check, parent table OID 16401 of pg_rewrite entry
OID 16403 not found

Is this recoverable without using a backup?

Looks like to me corrupted system catalog!

I guess when you dropped the table it didn't delete the record from pg_rewrite was not deleted when the parent table was dropped. So you can try doing something:

delete from pg_rewrite where oid = 16403;

And see if this can fix the problem..

--
Shoaib Mir
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology