Re: Are indexes blown? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Are indexes blown?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:

How should I install a "contrib" without bringing down my database, or
stopping it, or doing ANYTHING to it? It's in production. I can't
touch it. Will it be installed on the side and then I simply start
using it?

You do not need to restart the database server for that purpose as all you need is the pgstattuple.so file copied to <PG-HOME>/lib folder.

Do the following (in case you have installed server from source):

- Go to the <PostgreSQL-source>/contrib/pgstattuple folder
- run make and make install (this will copy pgstattuple.so file to the lib folder of your PostgreSQL installation)
- Now from psql execute the pgstattuple.sql file for that specific database which can be found in <PG-HOME>/share/contrib folder
- Once the sql file is executed now you can use the pgstattuple function

--
Shoaib Mir
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology