Re: Character encoding conversion - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Character encoding conversion
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Feb 9, 2008 7:28 PM, Mike Blackwell <maiku41@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I have a database which was originally created with LATIN1 encoding.
I'd like to move it to UTF8.  The data will load ok (COPY)  but I am
getting 'invalid byte sequence for encoding..." messages when accessing
the data.

Is there a way to automatically convert the offending characters, or to
easily locate them in a pg_dump file so they can be converted by hand?

Try using 'iconv' for your dump file and convert it all to UTF8 first before restoring to a UTF8 database.

--
Shoaib Mir
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology