Re: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum...
Date
List pgsql-general
If set have the max_fsm_pages set correctly, that makes VACUUM faster and removes the need for VACUUM FULL or REINDEX. Should be slightly more than the total number of data pages which will be touched by updates and deletes between vacuums.

Thanks,
--------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 8 Dec 2006 09:33:31 -0800, Angva <angvaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> clustering also removes the dead tuples.

I have a followup question. What if the set of dead tuples is too big
and I need to VACUUM FULL, as opposed to VACUUM. (The update size
varies greatly from day to day.) Will the clustering effectively do a
VACUUM FULL, or just a VACUUM?

Thanks again for your help,
Mark

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq