Re: Change database encoding - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Change database encoding
Date
List pgsql-novice
I guess you can not alter database encodng, so the way to change database encoding can be following these steps:

1. Take the database dump for which you wish to change encodig using pg_dump.

2. Now drop the database

3. Recreate the database with the encoding you wish to

For exampe --> createdb testdb -e unicode

4. Check if the dump file created in the first step has any special characters and do the required changes.

5. Now you can restore the dump file into the newly created database.

The advantage of using a Unicode database is that UTF-8 supports/includes all  known encodings at once. Therefore, in the process of development, it can help you save time.

/Shoaib Mir