Re: Move catalog toast table and index declarations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Move catalog toast table and index declarations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-10-27 13:12, John Naylor wrote:
> There's nothing wrong; it's just a minor point of consistency. For the
> first part, I mean defined symbols in this file that are invisible to
> the C compiler are written
>
> #define SOMETHING()
>
> If some are written
>
> #define SOMETHING() extern int no_such_variable
>
> I imagine some future reader will wonder why there's a difference.

The difference is that CATALOG() is followed in actual use by something like

     { ... } FormData_pg_attribute;

so it becomes a valid C statement.  For DECLARE_INDEX() etc., we need to
do something else to make it valid.  I guess this could be explained in
more detail (as I'm attempting in this email), but this isn't materially
changed by this patch.