Re: Table relationships - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aaron Bono
Subject Re: Table relationships
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 1/9/07, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:07:56 -0600
Curtis Scheer <Curtis@DAYCOS.com> wrote:
> -> Is there a difference between an address for the customer detail and an
> address for the customer?
>
> Not really an address is an address, it's a matter of specify an address for
> the customer master record which basically represents an entire customer
> while the customerdetail represents departments within that company that
> might be at a different address then the company's main office for instance.

Could be that you need another table.  Sounds like you have something
like;

   company  <===> address  <===> detail

This approach implies that the address defines the relationship between a company and the detail (the other departments/offices).  I cannot think of a business model that would use this though there probably are some...

Another alternative is to add another table which just holds the
address:

  company  <===>  department  <===>  detail
     ^               ^
     \==> address <==/

I'm not sure what this relationship is for.  It would appear that a department can have different addresses for different companies.

There are many possibilities.  Which one is best will depend on
analysing your particular business model.

I agree whole heartedly.  That is why I recommend starting with a logic structure before moving on to the physical.

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com
   http://codeelixir.com