Re: Nested select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aaron Bono
Subject Re: Nested select
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 11/6/06, Hubert Retif <hubert.retif@i-netsoft.ch> wrote:

I am migrating my application from MySQL to Postgresql and have met following situation:

SELECT

(sum(sold_price)/(select sum(sold_price) from car_archive))*100 as CA_pcent,

reason_text

FROM car_archive

group by reason_text

order by CA_pcent desc

works perfectly in MySQL, but not in Postgresql. The problem seems to be the nested select which should deliver a sum of the whole table, but it does not.

If I replace this nested select with a fix value, then it works:

SELECT

(sum(sold_price)/(333))*100 as CA_pcent,

reason_text

FROM car_archive

group by reason_text

order by CA_pcent desc

Are you suffering from round off error?  That is the only thing I can think of from what you have said.

What happens if you cast the price to a real or double precision?

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com
   http://codeelixir.com