Re: primary keys as TEXT - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aaron Bono
Subject Re: primary keys as TEXT
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 7/31/06, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo@libero.it> wrote:

Because serial ids are only surrogate keys.
My tables have well definited primary keys, the only problem is that
they are of type TEXT (and spawn up to 3 columns).

My concern is: how bad can be performance?

My guess is that the performance difference is not going to be noticable unless you are dealing with huge amounts of data and even then may account for such a small hit that there will be other issues that are more pressing like writing better queries, creating a data warehouse or adding proper indexes and keeping the indexes well maintained.

Anyone care to disagree?

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com