Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2023/02/08 9:49, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>> I am not sure if this is good way to check if ctags supports "-e" or not.
>>>
>>> +    then    ctags --version 2>&1 | grep -- -e >/dev/null
>>>
>>> Perhaps, "--help" might be intended rather than "--version" to check
>>> supported options?
>>
>> Yeah, that was my mistake.
>>
>>>   Even so, ctags would have other option whose name contains
>>> "-e" than Emacs support, so this check could end in a wrong result.  Therefore,
>>> it seems to me that it is better to check immediately if etags is available
>>> in case that we don't have Exuberant-type ctags.
>>
>> That makes sense.
>
> Attached is the v2 patch.

Thanks for the patch!

With the patch, I got the following error when executing make_etags..

$ ./src/tools/make_etags
etags: invalid option -- 'e'
    Try 'etags --help' for a complete list of options.
sort: No such file or directory

+        if [ $? != 0 -a -z "$ETAGS_EXISTS" ]
+        then    echo "'ctags' does not support emacs mode and etags does not exist" 1>&2; exit 1
+        fi

This code can be reached after "rm -f ./$TAGS_FILE" is executed in make_ctags.
But we should check whether the required program has been already installed
and exit immediately if not, before modifying anything?

This is the comment for the commit d1e2a380cb. I found that make_etags with
an invalid option reported the following usage message mentioning make_ctags
(not make_etags). Isn't this confusing?

$ ./src/tools/make_etags -a
Usage: /.../make_ctags [-e][-n]

Regards,