Re: [HACKERS] Updating column on row update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Updating column on row update
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/11/24 Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com>
> Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> > I do think this comes up often enough that a built-in trigger "update
> > named column with result of expression on insert" trigger might be
> > desirable.
>
> There's something of the sort in contrib already, I believe, though
> it's so old it still uses abstime :-(

What's wrong with abstime ?

it is valid for timestamps up to 2038-01-19 and it's on-disk size
smaller than other timestamp options

But it's very very deprecated and could be removed at any time.  It's been so for years now, and I wouldn't want to *start* using something which is deprecated.

Thom