Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Are there any test guides/plans generated for alpha releases, or are
such things only distributed to other developers?  I've seen postings
which mention what the new features are, and links to documentation
and other postings as to what it can do, but no single page outlining
the changes together.

And are there any test packs which can be run against each release to
ensure everything still functions as normal?  What I mean is it would
run through individual tests, like performing an update, checking
whether the update has applied, and returning pass if successful, and
fail otherwise.  Such tests should be inherently massive to match the
feature set of PostgreSQL, but could be built up over time if it
doesn't already exist.  Would there be any value in such a thing, or
is this generally not really a problem that needs solving?

Obviously real-world testing is needed to see how it works in a
realistic scenario, so I'm not suggesting that's any less important.

Thanks

Thom