Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1
Date
Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1  (Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 11/15/2016 02:37 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   All my previous version upgrades were performed by running pg_dumpall in
> the older version followed by running 'pgsql -f ...' to install the dumped
> .sql file, usually because the upgrade jumped several versions. Now I'd
> like
> to try the available postgres commands.
>
>   The older version is installed in /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data and I just
> initiated the new version in /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data. The earlier
> version is
> currently running.
>
>   Is pg_upgrade the recommended way to upgrade from one minor version to
> the
> next? The 9.5 manual recommends this approach for _major_ upgrades (e.g.,
> 8.4.7 to 9.6.1), but not for _minor_ upgrades (e.g., 9.0.1 to 9.0.4).
> That's
> a first digit upgrade and a third digit upgrade. Since 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 is a
> second digit upgrade I suppose it's semi-major, but in which upgrade camp
> does it belong?
>
>   The command is:
>
> pg_upgrade -b oldbindir -B newbindir -d olddatadir -D newdatadir
>
> and I don't know where to find -b and -B. On my Slackware-14.1 server I
> have
> /usr/bin/postgres and assume it is for the 9.5 release since that's running
> and the 9.6 release is initiated but not invoked. The data directories are
> easy but where do I look for the two bindirs?

Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl /usr/local/pgsql94/bin/pg_ctl

Even if only one is the $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl

you can usually figure out where the other is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com