calling perl program within a cgi script with parameters from html form - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Deepblues
Subject calling perl program within a cgi script with parameters from html form
Date
Re: calling perl program within a cgi script with  (Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca>)
List pgsql-novice
I have a problem linking my cgi script to the perl function.
I have perl functions to perform manipulations to the database.
I am creating a web front end to it. I have a html form which accepts data from the user and calls the cgi script ( in perl)which processes this data , performs validation and passes the form data as parameters to a perl program. My cgi script seems to work fine as far as processinng goes. My perl program works too. But I am not able to call the perl program from the cgi script. I am tryin to test the main perl program by having lots of HTML output statements. but it doesn't appear on the webpage.

suppose my form values are stored in variables
$a = param('name')
$b = param('age')

Now I need to call a perl function wth $a, $b as parameters.
My $string = "perl test.pl $a $b"
system($string)

This is wht I am using now. when I try  eg: perl test.pl john 12    It works. And the variables are bnided properly in cgi script. I cheked to make sure. Can anyone suggest how i should proceed.

Thanks in advance
Deepblues