explicit joins vs implicit joins - Mailing list pgsql-general

From culley harrelson
Subject explicit joins vs implicit joins
Date
Re: explicit joins vs implicit joins  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Once upon a time when I taught myself sql I learned the explicit join
syntax-- I have never really used the where clause to create joins.
With this style of sql I have been building/maintaining a
postgresql-centric web application since postgresql 7.0 and now I am
learning that by writing my sql in this fashion I am constricting the
planner. After reading this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=105551123915183&w=2

I am wondering if things are going to change in 7.4?  Or should I switch
to placing joins in the where clause when I can?  I don't want to have
to worry about my join order-- I would prefer to let the planner do its
thing 95% of the time.

culley