Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Erik Rijkers
Subject Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-04-16 11:46, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> On 2020-04-16 11:33, Dilip Kumar wrote:

>>> applied on top of 8128b0c (a few hours ago)
>>

> I've added your new patch
>
> [bugfix_replica_identity_full_on_subscriber.patch]
>
> on top of all those above but the crash (apparently the same crash)
> that I had earlier still occurs (and pretty soon).
>
> server process (PID 1721) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation
> fault
>
> I'll try to isolate it better and get a stacktrace
>

>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> While setting up the cascading replication I have hit one issue on
>> base code[1].  After fixing that I have got one crash with streaming
>> on patch.  I am not sure whether you are facing any of these 2 issues
>> or any other issue.  If your issue is not any of these then plese
>> share the callstack and steps to reproduce.

I figured out a few things about this. Attached is a bash script
test.sh, to reproduce:

There is a variable  CRASH_IT  that determines whether the whole thing
will fail (with a segmentation fault) or not.  As attached it has
CRASH_IT=0 and does not crash.  When you change that to CRASH_IT=1, then
it will crash.  It turns out that this just depends on a short wait
state (3 seconds, on my machine) between setting up de replication, and
the running of pgbench.  It's possible that on very fast machines maybe
it does not occur; we've had such difference between hardware before.
This is a i5-3330S.

It deletes files so look it over before you run it.  It may also depend
on some of my local set-up but I guess that should be easily fixed.

Can you let me know if you can reproduce the problem with this?

thanks,

Erik Rijkers