docs: psql and variable interpolation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Philippe Beaudoin
Subject docs: psql and variable interpolation
Date
Re: docs: psql and variable interpolation  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-docs

Hi all,

I recently used the nice variable capabilities in psql, after having read the "SQL Interpolation" chapter in the psql page (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html).

But I spent a lot of time trying to understand why using a variable in a \copy command failed ... until a colleague of mine showed me this was actually written elsewhere in the documentation (formerly in the \copy chapter).

The first sentence of this SQL interpolation chapter says "A key feature of psql variables is that you can substitute (interpolate) them into regular SQL statements, as well as the arguments of meta-commands." But nothing in this chapter indicates that there are exceptions.

May be we could have a wording adjustment with something like : "A key feature of psql variables is that you can substitute (interpolate) them into regular SQL statements, as well as the arguments of meta-commands (unless specifically noted)."

Regards. Philippe.

DALIBO
L'expertise PostgreSQL
43, rue du Faubourg Montmartre
75009 Paris
Philippe Beaudoin
Consultant Avant-Vente
+33 (0)1 84 72 76 11
+33 (0)7 69 14 67 21
philippe.beaudoin@dalibo.com
Valorisez vos compétences PostgreSQL, certifiez-vous chez Dalibo !
Attachment