Re: [HACKERS] Bizarre choice of case for RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Bizarre choice of case for RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/03/08 2:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> Is there a good reason why RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE is 'P' not 'p'?
> It looks rather out of place considering that seven of the eight
> pre-existing relkind codes are lower case.  (And no, I don't especially
> approve of RELKIND_SEQUENCE being 'S' either, but it's far too late to
> change that.)  Also, in typical low-res monospaced fonts, there's nearly
> no difference except vertical alignment between P and p, meaning that in
> something like
>
> regression=# select distinct relkind from pg_class;
>  relkind
> ---------
> (8 rows)
>
> you have to look rather closely even to notice that what you're seeing
> isn't in the case you might expect.
>
> I think we should change this while we still can.

I remember that one of the earliest versions of the patch I submitted had
two new relkinds: 'P' for partitioned tables and 'p' for leaf partitions.
The latter was dropped subsequently and I never thought of using 'p'
instead of 'P' for partitioned tables.

Attached patch that implements this change.

Thanks,
Amit