Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2
Date
Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 24/09/2020 17:21, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> If we really want to support it (which would require more evidence of it being
> a problem IMO), using the non-OpenSSL sha256 code would be one option I guess?

That would technically work, but wouldn't it make the product as whole
not FIPS compliant? I'm not a FIPS lawyer, but as I understand it the
point of FIPS is that all the crypto code is encapsulated in a certified
module. Having your own SHA-256 implementation would defeat that.

- Heikki