Re: Containerized development environment for pgweb - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Containerized development environment for pgweb
Date
List pgsql-www
On 6/21/24 9:08 AM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> Hello pgweb team,
>
> Attaching a patch to simplify pgweb dev env setup.
>
> Dockerfile - Main container with Django and PostgreSQL client
> docker-compose.yml - to create proper dependency between python and
> postgres container
> settings_local.py - Development setting, mounted inside container to
> override pgweb/settings.py
> django_setup_local.sh - this script is executed at start of container
> and to setup pgweb specific env
>
> Updated README.rst with commands.
>
> Tested on Fedora 40 with podman as rootless containers. No custom setup
> was required.
> start - `podman compose --file docker-compose.yml up --detach`
> stop - `podman compose --file docker-compose.yml down`

This generally looks good to me. A few comments:

* Authentication - are we able to use "peer" auth instead of requiring a
password? Though IIRC that may be challenging if we're using composable
containers.
   * Otherwise, do we have a way to dynamically/securely generate the
password?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment