Re: != ANY(array) does not behave as expected - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: != ANY(array) does not behave as expected
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Wilson schrieb am 07.12.2018 um 13:39:
> However, if we try to invert it by using the != operator, then we get unexpected results:
>
> select * from foo where id NOT IN (1, 2); /* returns row 3 only, as expected */
> select * from foo where id != ANY (ARRAY[1, 2]); /* returns all rows, unexpected */

id <> ANY (...) means: return "true" if at least one of the elements is not equal to the value on the left side.

What you are looking for is the ALL operator

  select *
  from foo
  where id <> ALL (ARRAY[1, 2]);

That is essentially the equivalent to NOT IN