Re: Tuning Postgres for single user manipulating large amounts of data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tv@fuzzy.cz
Subject Re: Tuning Postgres for single user manipulating large amounts of data
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi, Im using Postgres 8.3 on a Macbook Pro Labtop.
> I using the database with just one db connection to build a lucene
> search index from some of the data, and Im trying to improve
> performance. The key thing is that I'm only a single user but
> manipulating large amounts of data , i.e processing tables with upto 10
> million rows in them, so I think want to configure Postgres so that it
> can create large temporary tables in memory

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "manipulating data" - does that mean
reading or writing?

I'd definitely increase shared_buffers, work_mem (don't be afraid to set
work_mem to say 32MB or 64MB - this should be safe with a single
connection, although it depends on the queries). To improve writes,
increase checkpoint_segments etc.

If you really don't need extra safety - e.g. if you have all the data
backed up and just need to run some ad-hoc analysis (and it does not
matter if it crashes as you can recover it from backup), you can disable
fsync. This will make writes much faster, but it won't be safe in case of
crash.

DON'T DO THIS IF YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR DATA SAFE!

But as you're runninng the app on your laptop, I guess you can live with
frync=off. You'll loose the consistency but you'll get better performance.

> Ive tried changes various paramters such as shared_buffers, work_mem and
> checkpoint_segments but I don't really understand what they values are,
> and the documentation seems to be aimed towards configuring for multiple
> users, and my changes make things worse. For example my machine has 2GB
> of memory and I read if using as a dedicated server you should set
> shared memory to 40% of total memory, but when I increase to more than
> 30MB Postgres will not start complaining about my SHMMAX limit.

You're heading in the right direction I think, but you're hitting kernel
limits. A process can't allocate more shared memory (shared buffers) than
SHMMAX limit, so you need to bump this up.

See this - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/kernel-resources.html
There's even a section for MacOS X (which is the OS you're running, I
guess).

Tomas