Re: detaching triggers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: detaching triggers
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:41:02 +0200, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> is it somehow possible to detach trigger, so the calling transaction
> can return immediately, even before the trigger function has
> returned.

No, but see below.

> The only solution I currently know is to fill somethings in a queue
> table by rule and have an external daemon looking at it every second.
> But this doesnt seem very optimal for me.

Take a look at the LISTEN/NOTIFY interfaces in the docs.  This will
allow async post-transaction processing.  You can set up an ALSO rule
to notify when a particular type of statement has executed against
your target table.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-listen.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-notify.html

See the bottom of: