How to get the size of non fixed-length field from system catalog ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Postgres User
Subject How to get the size of non fixed-length field from system catalog ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm writing a small ORM tool and have written a number of queries to
retrieve table metadata.  One piece of data that I'm having trouble
hunting down is the size of a CHAR field.  For example, one table has
a 'user_id' column of type CHAR(36).  But when I look at the
pg_attribute and pg_type tables, I can't seem to find this size value
of 36.

Can anyone share the SQL that returns the size of a CHAR?  It is NOT
the 'typlen' column.  The answer may be the 'typelem' column, but I
can't find details on how to decode it.

Thanks.