Re: newbie pointers for development - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: newbie pointers for development
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2022-11-02 at 12:21 +0530, Ankit Pandey wrote:
> > The canonical starting point is here:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
>
> I have also gone through this but still, I am not exactly clear where to start
> (assuming I can run, build, debug and play with git).

Grab a patch from https://commitfest.postgresql.org/40/ that is simple enough,
try to apply it to Git head and see if it builds and passes the regression tests.
Then try to break it :^)
Read the code to see what the patch does.
It is best to start with a patch that touches an area of PostgreSQL that you understand well.

> Also another question, which email client does everyone use (mostly) for communication?

I use Eclipse (default on Gnome), but I guess everybody has their own preferences.

By the way, thanks for your willingness to help!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe