Re: postgres user account on OSX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Weber
Subject Re: postgres user account on OSX
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi Shane,

I'm trying to untangle some postgresql issues on OSX.  I'm now using a macport installation for postgresql 8.3.4 and I'm using my own custom Portfile to configure the installation (hardly changed from the main Portfile, really).  Anyhow, the macport install creates a lauchdeamon config that uses this startup call below.  When I test it directly, it's failing:

sudo su postgres -c "/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin/pg_ctl -D ${POSTGRESQL83DATA:=/opt/local/var/db/postgresql83/defaultdb} start -w -l /opt/local/var/log/postgresql83/postgres.log -o \"-i -l\""

waiting for server to start...2008-10-13 19:50:21.734 pg_ctl[43992:617] CFPreferences: user home directory at /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3 is unavailable. User domains will be volatile.

Have you seen anything like this before?  I have no idea what this means:
"CFPreferences: user home directory at /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3 is unavailable"
It looks like a hangover from using a binary installer and I have no idea how to get rid of that "CFPreference".

Any tips much appreciated ;-)

Thanks, Darren