Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Luzanov
Subject Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11.07.2024 15:07, Rafia Sabih wrote:
This looks much better than the current version.
Thank you, for looking into this.

Only thing is, I find
the column name Valid until confusing. With that name I am in danger
of taking it as the role's validity and not the passwords'.
How about naming it to something like Password validity...?
Yes, my first attempt was to name this column "Password expiration date"
for the same reason.

But then I decided that the column name should match the attribute name.
Otherwise, you need to make some effort to understand which columns
of the table correspond to which attributes of the roles.

It is also worth considering translation into other languages.
If the role attribute and the column have the same name, then they will
probably be translated the same way. But the translation may be different
for different terms, which will further confuse the situation.

We can probably change the column name, but still the root of the confusion
is caused by the attribute name, not the column name.

What do you think?

--
Pavel Luzanov
Postgres Professional: https://postgrespro.com