Re: row filtering for logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, at 4:07 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
On 7/13/21 5:44 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 10:24 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
8<

>> (c) the columns
>> referred to in the filter should be part of PK or Replica Identity.

> Why?

I'm not sure either.
This patch uses the old row for DELETE operations and new row for INSERT and
UPDATE operations. Since we usually don't use REPLICA IDENTITY FULL, all
columns in an old row that are not part of the PK or REPLICA IDENTITY are NULL.
The row filter evaluates NULL to false. Documentation says

  <para>
   The <literal>WHERE</literal> clause should contain only columns that are
   part of the primary key or be covered  by <literal>REPLICA
   be replicated. That's because old row is used and it only contains primary
   key or columns that are part of the <literal>REPLICA IDENTITY</literal>; the
   and <command>UPDATE</command> operations, any column might be used in the
   <literal>WHERE</literal> clause. New row is used and it contains all
   columns. A <literal>NULL</literal> value causes the expression to evaluate
   to false; avoid using columns without not-null constraints in the
   not allow functions and user-defined operators.
  </para>

--
Euler Taveira