Re: PREPARE statements - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: PREPARE statements
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Apr 5, 2005, at 1:33 AM, Andrei Reinus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have few questions about PREPARE statements.
> As starting a new project, I always try to find ways to 'do-it-right'
> and application is
> all OLTP style system.
>
> I have lots of queries like "SELECT name FROM client WHERE id = 1".
> Plain and simple PK index search.
> To save parsing/rewriting/planning overhead I should use PREPARE
> statements, right?

I'm not an expert here, so listen for others to weigh in.  However, if
you are executing the prepared statement more than once per connection,
that is true....

> Manual states that prepare statements are only stored in database
> session,
> is there are way to be sure that statement exists or make it last over
> all sessions?

How about a stored procedure?

> I cant PREPARE statments over and over again with every page request,
> right?

Are you in a persistent environment where you can reuse the same
database connection?

Sean