Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Does anyone use in ram postgres database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Chris Barnes
<compuguruchrisbarnes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>   We are testing in memory postgres database and have questions about
> configuring the ram mount point and whether there is great gains in setting
> it up this way? Are there any considerations for postgres?

There is very little reason to do this.  both postgres and the
operating system cache frequently used pages in memory already and
they are pretty smart about it -- this leaves more memory for
temporary demands like sorts, indexes, large result sets, etc.  It's
usually just as good to simply set fsync=off on the database in
scenarios where you are ok with data loss following a crash and the
system is performance critical.

merlin