Re: Where do you store key for encryption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Where do you store key for encryption
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Naoko Reeves <naoko@lawlogix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have web application and encrypt PII columns. We use encrypt/decrypt
> function for this.
>
> Currently we hard coded the key in postgresql function which I am not sure
> of it.
>
> I did google it and people suggest that it needed to be stored in physically
> isolated location (storing decryption key on the same server as the data is
> kind of like writing your PIN on your ATM card).

Key management is a complicated topic, but I can tell you this for
sure: storing the key in the function is one of the worst places to do
it :-)  Any user can pull down the entire pg_proc table and see all
your functions! (this is somewhat fixable, but It's still not the
right place IMO).

merlin