Re: Listen / Notify rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date
Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Andrew Chernow <ac@esilo.com> wrote:
> I think the original OP was close.  The structure can still be fixed length
> but maybe we can bump it to 8k (BLCKSZ)?

The problem with this (which I basically agree with) is that this will
greatly increase the size of the queue for all participants of this
feature if they use the payload or not.  I think it boils down to
this: is there a reasonably effective way of making the payload
variable length (now or in the future)?  If not, let's compromise and
maybe go with a larger size, maybe 256 or 512 bytes.

merlin