Re: Listen / Notify rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM, A.M. <agentm@themactionfaction.com> wrote:
> At least with this new payload, I can set the payload to the transaction ID
> and be certain that all the notifications I sent are processed (and in order
> even!) but could you explain why the coalescing is still necessary?

Christmas comes early this year! :-).

three reasons:
*) it works that way now...a lot of people use this feature for all
kinds of subtle things and the behavior chould change as little as
possible
*) legacy issues aside, I think it's generally better behavior (how
many times do you need to be tapped on the shoulder?)
*) since you can trivially differentiate it (using xid, sequence,
etc), what's the fuss?

merlin