Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I don't see anything very contradictory here.  What you're demonstrating
> is that it's nice to be able to throw a third CPU at the compression
> part of the problem.  That's likely to remain true if we shift to a
> different compression algorithm.  I suspect if you substituted lzo for
> gzip in the third case, the picture wouldn't change very much.

lzo is much, much, (much) faster than zlib.  Note, I've tried several
times to contact the author to get clarification on licensing terms
and have been unable to get a response.

[root@devdb merlin]# time lzop -c dump.sql > /dev/null

real    0m16.683s
user    0m15.573s