Re: selecting all columns but one - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: selecting all columns but one
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM, blackwater dev<blackwaterdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a table with a lot of columns.  One of the columns I want to alias so
> have a query of:
> select *, column as newname from mytable.
> The problem is I now have column and newname in the results.  I don't want
> to select column by column.  How can I do a select * but omit one?
> Thanks!

there is no easy way.  the only way I can think of is to build the
query with dynamic sql (either in pl/pgsql or the client), and query
the system catalogs so you can build the column list filtering out the
column you don't want.

merlin