Re: Why not working under 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Why not working under 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Andreas Moeller" <a.moeller@teia.de> wrote:
>
>> Following lines produce an error message under 8.3. - but not under
>> 8.1.
>> Why?
>>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dodi() RETURNS boolean AS
>> $$
>> BEGIN
>> SELECT 'abc' INTO TEMPORARY foonana;
>> RETURN FALSE;
>> END;
>> $$
>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>>

>> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
>> DETAIL: Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
>> variables following INTO.
>> CONTEXT: compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>>
>> ********** Fehler **********
>>
>> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
>> SQL Status:42601
>> Detail:Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
>> variables following INTO.
>> Kontext:compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>
> Are you sure this worked in 8.1? SELECT INTO in plpgsql needs to point to a variable as noted by the error message.
Youneed to declare a variable.

looks like ambiguity between plpgsql 'select into' and the regular sql
'select into' method which works like 'create table as'.  I vaguely
remember something about this changing.  In any event. the OP is crazy
to write it like that, 'create [temp] table as' is preferred.

merlin