Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut escribió:
>> James Mansion wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to have a plugin facility?
>>
>> Well, before we consider that, we'd probably want to see proof about the
>>  effectiveness of other compression methods.
>
> I did some measurements months ago, and it was very clear that libz
> compression was a lot tighter than the PGLZ code.

we have seen amazing results with lzo compression...2-3x faster
compression times with only 10-15% less compression:

There are tons of supporting examples online, for example:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2005-October/008768.html

I think, if the database is automatically compressing things (which,
IMO, it shouldn't), a low cpu overhead algorithm should be favored.

merlin