Re: PostgreSQL installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostgreSQL installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Shahbaz A. Tyagi
<shahbaz.tyagi@sphere.ae> wrote:
> How can we make PostgreSQL db up and running with out using installer i.e.
> we want to build the db internally and ship the db along with our
> application and let our application run the DB. We don't want to include the
> PostgreSQL installer along with our installer and create the db while
> installing.

It's trivial to do this on every platform but windows.  On windows,
first thing you need to do is take a look at silent mode install
through the installer and makes sure that this is not a good solution
for you.  If not, you have to have the following ducks in order:

create user account: can do with net command
make sure have service rights: google ntrights.exe
install service: pg_ctl can do this
switch cmd.exe current user: runas
automatic password entry to runas: sanur.exe
run initdb

You can also code your own install in C, of course.  This requires
expert level windows coding though.

Also you have to watch out for things like automatic password
expiration, and various other windows nuisances. If (and only if) you
are on a secure network you can save some headaches by compiling out
the administrative user check.

merlin