Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Mikkel Høgh <mikkel@hoegh.org> wrote:
> After disabling SSL for localhost, I ran the tests again, and the
> performance gap is reduced to about 30%.

ok, now consider you are on a read only load, with lots (if I read the
thread correctly) repetitive queries.  mysql has a feature called the
query cache which optimizes sending the same query multiple times, but
invalidates when a table changes.

postgresql has a very efficient locking engine, so it tends to beat
mysql up when you have lots of writing going on from different users.
myisam has an edge on mainly read only data in some cases...but 30% is
a small price to pay for all the extra power you get (and that 30%
will flip quickly if you have to do any real work).

merlin