Re: libpq object hooks - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: libpq object hooks
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:47 PM, daveg <daveg@sonic.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:52:43AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> One idea would be to add the libpq hooks but not document them.  This
>> way, we can modify or remove the API as needed in the future.  As
>> libpqtypes matures and we are sure what the API should be, we can
>> document it as stable and permanent.
>
> Perhaps it is just me, but undocumented interface are evil. Simply document
> it with the changable bits labled as such.

Well, in defense of Bruce, there is some precedent for that.  Anything
that queries binary currently falls under that umbrella (mostly
undocumented and changeable).  For functions exported by libpq
though...it's probably better to nail things down as much as possible
up front.

This is a big advantage of the hooks strategy overall, it allows us to
mature the library except for the interaction with libpq (ISTM Bruce
was trying to give us a little leeway here as well, and we appreciate
that).

merlin